Becoming a Citizen


What is the Oath Ceremony?

When and where is my oath ceremony?

USCIS will mail you a notice telling you when and where your oath ceremony will be. In some cases you will be given your ceremony date the same day you pass your interview exam.

What do I have to do to take my oath ceremony?

You must return your Permanent Resident Card to USCIS at check in. The questions on form N-445, which is sent with your oath ceremony date letter, must be filled out before arriving at your oath ceremony, do not sign the form until instructed by an officer the day of your ceremony.

What does the oath require me to say?

I will renounce foreign allegiances. I will support the constitution. I will serve the United States of America

What if I cannot make it to my oath ceremony?

If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony Form N-445 that USCIS sent you. You should send the N-445 back to your local office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local office will reschedule you and send you a new Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony to tell you when and where your ceremony will be.


If USCIS grants me naturalization, when will I become a citizen?

You become a citizen as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. In some places, you can choose to take the Oath the same day as your interview. USCIS will notify you of the ceremony date with a "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445).



What do I do if I have lost my Certificate of Naturalization? What do I use as proof of citizenship if I do not have my certificate?

You may get a new Certificate of Naturalization by submitting an "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document" (Form N-565) to USCIS. You may download a Form N-565 at or by calling the Forms Line (1 800-870-3676).

Submit this form with the fee to your local USCIS office. It may take up to 1 year for you to receive a new certificate. If you have one, you may use your passport as evidence of citizenship while you wait for a replacement certificate. 


When I become a U.S. Citizen, how does that help my children who are legal permanent residents?

Your children under 18 years of age automatically become citizens. However, you must fill out the N-600 form in order to receive a certificate of citizenship and register the change in their status with the USCIS.


How can I get a US passport?

To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to a passport facilities with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license. Acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices.

You’ll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time: if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16; or if your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen. For more information on getting a new passport, please go to